Wednesday, November 09, 2011

M83. Hurry Up, We're Dreaming - review

release date > 17th October 2011
label > Naïve
M83. The band which was founded in 2001 by French musician Anthony Gonzalez and named after a M83 - Messier 83, a spiral galaxy in the constellation Hydra. Sometimes you can feel that enormous space of the galaxy when you are listening M83's albums. 

I have to confess you. I utterly fell in love with this band. It's been a long time since I hear Saturdays = Youth, a predecessor of "Hurry Up" for the first time. And this love and connection last I can frankly say I am addicted with its luscious sound. It was the first album which I heard and than gradually I was discovering a rest of his discography especially that great records Before the Dawn Heals Us (2005) and Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts (2003) with truly gems like America, Unrecorded, 0078h, Gone, Don't Save Us From The Flames, Farewell / Goodbye, * (yes, the asterisk is a song name :]), Safe, Car Chase Terror,  Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun, Teen Angst, Kim & Jessie, Graveyard Girl, We Own The Sky, Too Late and lots of more because every song is worth to listen.

Back to the new release. If Saturdays = Youth was close to 80's sound than Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is 80's. But in a form which I can accept which I can love. And of course it's still M83 in their best. When I am thinking about it more the feeling of 80's I have this feeling only in a couple of first hearings. Than the record still more and more grew in me. And now I can listen the whole (double CD) record from the first song Intro to the last Outro. I enjoy it so much and I am glad I broke that initial embarrassment. Some reviewers say it's M83 best album and they have right. Or maybe I think every album have some own spirit which you can get it during the listening. But Hurry Up.. is like a colorful patchwork includes every shades of M83's colors. Gonzalez had this to say about it: "I think it is a reflection of my 30 years of being a human being. It’s a compilation of all my previous music together. It’s a retrospective of myself."

As you know Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is double CD with 2x11 songs and takes 1h13m. I can not describes all of each songs but I can and will recommend some of them. Of course the best way how to listen is from Intro to Outro ;) Because I highly recommend whole songs on double CDs:) 
Intro - the song begins with fluttering synths and whispering of Morgan Kibby. It's perfect opener with featuring Zola Jesus. Her powerfully intense voice introduces this mesmerizing album.
Midnight City - First single and smashing hit. Gonzales experiments with his voice as high distorted 'squawk' and try to sing in a different way than previous releases. At first I had a problem with a recognition it's his voice. Put heavy synth riff, stunning saxophone solo at the end and you get maybe the best song on the album.
Wait - slow and touching strong melody, epic structure and soft tension inside. Very beautiful song.
Raconte-Moi Une Histoire - in English "Tell me a story" is probably the most cute and funny song ever I heard, which has a little girl telling a fairy tale about a frog as the main vocal. As Gonzales said for Pitchfork interview |here| she's a Justin's Meldal-Johnsen |producer| five-year-old daughter. Her closing words "we can be a whole group of friends ... the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever, it would be great, right? " are amazingly positive and it conjures up a smile on your face :)
Claudia Lewis - Gonzales really like 80's sound and here is the biggest influence heard. And that slap bass... it's typical for 80's (for me). Maybe it can reminds you Genesis with Peter Gabriel (listen also Reunion or OK Pal for 80's strong feeling). Great stuffs indeed. 
New Map - Breathtaking powerful song. The ending with whistles and saxophone is sooo flawless. With Midnight City best song. I have no more words...
Splendor - solo piano starts a melody than join Gonzalez's singing with magic  Shakespeare Bridge Children's Choir in second half. Almost Christmas feeling touch you ...

Steven McQueen - another huge hit. Very fresh and full of energy. Definitely about famous actor Steven McQueen: "My sensations reach the limit.
Nothing can hurt me today. There’s a magic inside. Just waiting to burst out.
There world is a goldmine. That will melt tomorrow. Living for, living for a thrill… Just waiting! Just waiting!..."

Echoes of Mine - cinematic atmosphere with women declaims something in French, I have no idea what is it but with that synths walls it's sounds very impressive.

Klaus I love You - So flawless synths... There is only one bad thing on this song. It's too short for me. Best interlude ever.

Outro - You can hear small touch of epic of Sigur Rós. Amazing closing of the album.
So I can highly recommend this incredible double CD!
.:9|10:.

track listing >
CD1 01| Intro | 05:22 || 02| Midnight City | 04:04 || 03| Reunion (03:55) |04| Where The Boats Go | 01:46 || 05| Wait | 05:43 || 06| Raconte-Moi Une Histoire | 04:04 || 07| Train To Pluton | 01:15 || 08| Claudia Lewis | 04:31 || 09| This Bright Flash | 02:24 || 10| When Will You Come Home? | 01:23 || 11| Soon, My Friend | 03:09 |
CD2 01| My Tears Are Becoming A Sea | 02:31 || 02| New Map | 04:22 || 03| Ok Pal | 03:58 || 04| Another Wave From You | 01:53 || 05| Splendor | 05:07 || 06| Year One, One UFO | 03:17 || 07 | Fountains | 01:21 || 08| Steve McQueen | 03:48 || 09| Echoes Of Mine | 03:39 || 10| Klaus I Love You | 01:44 || 11| Outro | 04:07 |

official website > ilovem83.com
soundcloud >  soundcloud.com/m83

No comments: